**Majorettes: Auditions for the 2024 UT majorette line will be LIVE on Saturday, February 3. The deadline for the majorette application is Friday, January 26.
**To be a part of the UT Majorette Line you must have applied, and eventually accepted into, the University of Tennessee. You must also submit a 2024 UT Majorette Line Audition Application. The Application Form can be found by clicking HERE!
DEADLINE: 5pm on Friday, January 26
Majorette Audition Requirements for 2024
Live Audition Date: Saturday, February 3
All applicants must submit a UT Majorette Line Audition Application. Application Form can be found by clicking HERE!
Audition Location: Auditions will be held LIVE on the campus of the University of Tennessee. Once we have received your application, we will reach out to you regarding audition day details.
Eligibility: Any current UT student or incoming freshman. Incoming freshman must have applied to The University of Tennessee.
Audition Schedule: A detailed schedule with times for auditions will be sent at a later date. Below is a list of what will be covered:
1) Solo Routine: (Twirling/Dance Twirl Routine): Time limit is 2:00 – 2:30 minutes. Applicant’s routine must consist of one-baton only (multiple batons will be used during the stationary tricks). Judging categories include: variety, difficulty, coordination, appearance, gracefulness, twirling/dancing techniques, posture, originality and showmanship.
2) Group Routine: All candidates will learn a group routine as well as marching and field movements. The ability to learn, assimilate, and perform new material will be assessed.
3) Basic Strut (Example 1): Candidates will be required to demonstrate basic strut (with or without bird arms). While marching to music, candidates will be judged on marching technique, accurate step size, posture, and accurate tempo/pulse.
4) 8 x 5 Marching (With “the Bird” – Example 2): Candidates will be required to demonstrate 8 to 5 marching (without and with bird arms, which will be taught). While marching to music, candidates will be judged on marching technique, accurate step size, posture, and accurate tempo/pulse.
5) Stationary Tricks: Using single AND multiple batons, candidates will be required to stand in place to complete selected tricks. Tricks will be demonstrated by the head majorette. The focus is for candidates to remain stationary while performing and catching each trick.
Feature Twirler: Feature Twirler tryouts will be held immediately after the line is selected. All candidates must be selected for the 2023 Majorette line in order to tryout for Feature Twirler. Candidates should be prepared to perform an additional solo performance. Routine should not exceed 2 minutes and 30 seconds. Routine may include multiple batons if desired.
Music: Each applicant must provide her/his own recording (music of applicant’s choice). The audio file should be played through a phone or other mp3 device and must have 2:00-2:30 minutes of music for the audition routine. A back-up audio file is suggested.
Attire and Physical Fitness: The UT Majorettes perform with the band in front of 100,000 fans. Majorettes must be in excellent physical condition and maintain their physical fitness during the year. Appearance includes personal grooming, proportion, poise, and posture. Hair and make-up should be worn as you would for a performance. Hair may be worn up or down. All candidates should wear a twirling costume of their choice with flesh colored tights.
Equipment: Batons as needed for your routines and a back-up version of your audition music.
Judging Categories: Appearance, Twirling/Dance Routine (technical ability), Adaptability to learning a new routine, Gracefulness and Showmanship.
Number of Majorettes Chosen: No specific number of majorettes is chosen in any given year. The number of majorettes has ranged from 7-15 in past years and depends on the caliber of applicants as determined by the judges. UT Majorettes must re-audition each year. Should a selected majorette withdraw from school or leave the majorette line for any reason, the first alternate may be moved up to twirl with the squad. The list of alternates will be kept confidential and used at the discretion of the Director of Bands.
Majorettes chosen for the line will receive a scholarship award of $800 per year.
The Judging Panel: The judging panel will consist of UT Band Directors and expert twirling adjudicators. Please note: Judge’s comments and scores are confidential and will not be disclosed.
Auditions are not open to the public. Only candidates and judges will be admitted to the tryout/band room. During auditions, parents and friends may wait in the building lobby, however, only those twirlers auditioning will be allowed in the actual band room lobby.
Following Auditions: Those that are selected for the 2023 Majorette line will have a mandatory meeting following the conclusion of tryouts.
Application form: Click HERE!