The University of Tennessee Pride of the Southland Alumni Marching Band, with more than 4000 members, is one of the largest and most active alumni associations on campus. The Alumni Band Council meets monthly to plan activities for the membership and to work with the UT Development Office in fundraising efforts for band scholarships.
Upwards of 400 Band alumni typically return every fall to march with the Pride in the annual Homecoming half-time show and participate with the pep bands at home basketball games during winter break. In 2019, nearly 750 alumni returned to celebrate the 150th Anniversary of the Pride of the Southland Marching Band. The Alumni Band has sponsored fundraising galas for the Pride, including a special gala in 2019 that commemorated the band’s sesquicentennial, in 2016 that marked the 50th anniversary of the Band’s Color Guard, and in 2017 that celebrated the 50th anniversary of the legendary song, “Rocky Top.” Band alumni and other dedicated donors generously give to the Band, making it one of the most successful fundraising groups on campus annually. Monies raised from these various avenues enable the Band to offer a scholarship to every Band student and to purchase new uniforms and instruments.
The University of Tennessee Pride of the Southland Marching Band Alumni Council serves in an advisory and support capacity to the director of Bands and the Band program generally, for the purpose of:
- Supporting The Pride of the Southland Marching Band and representing its alumni members.
- Providing leadership and influence as an advocate for The Pride of the Southland Marching Band with alumni, UT, and the public.
- Developing scholarships for current members of The Pride of the Southland Marching Band.
- Developing programs of special interest to alumni, faculty, staff, and current members of The Pride of the Southland Marching Band.
- Encouraging greater financial participation by the alumni of The Pride of the Southland Marching Band in The Pride of the Southland Alumni Marching Band, as well as the UT Knoxville Office of Alumni Affairs.
- Participating in the UT Knoxville Office of Alumni Affairs programs and activities.
Current Alumni Band Council Members:
Bill Dabbs – President (trumpet, 2003-2006)
Larry Murphy – Vice President (trumpet, 1980-1992)
Andrew Vogel – Secretary (snare, drum major; 2012-2016)
Doug McKay – Treasurer (snare, 1985-1989)
Jeff Barnes (percussion, 1974-1976)
Ronnie Boling (trumpet, 1973-1976)
Rob Clark (trumpet, graduate assistant; 1987-1995)
Carrie Creswell (majorette, 1997-2000)
Tommy Horst (trumpet/drum major, 2000-2003)
Bryan Massengale (saxophone, 1976-1980)
Betty Myers (color guard, 1972-1977)
Ed Nichols (tuba, drum major; 1979-1985)
Shelbi Ruffino (majorette, 2011-2015)
Cody Stricklin (trumpet, drum major; 2008-2013)
Steve Wyatt (trumpet, 1973-1977)
Amber Young (majorette, 1998-2002)
Phyllis Moore – UTAA
Brian Hardy – UT Foundation
If you are interested in serving on the Alumni Band Council, click on the following link:
The list of Alumni Band Council responsibilities and expectations can be found below: